Its name is like a tongue twister, but it an extremely important medical device. A sphygmomanometer, commonly known as the manual blood pressure cuff, helps you read your blood pressure.
Using it is quite easy, and it can be purchased for home usage as well. This means that you do not need to go to the ER or a clinic to check if your blood pressure is normal. You can do it at home! Let’s learn all the details of this wonderful device so that you purchase the best aneroid sphygmomanometerone based on your need.
How Does The Sphygmomanometer Work?
It is quite straight forward, actually. It measures the blood pressures in our arteries by giving us two reading – the systolic and the diastolic. The first indicates when the blood is pumped out, and the second one indicates when the heart fills with blood.
The normal reading for a healthy adult is 120/80 or 120 over 80. However, it can vary with age, other health conditions, etc. Thus, what’s normal in one case may be high or low in another.
Low blood pressure is termed as hypotension.
High blood pressure is termed as hypertension.
Blood pressure is measured in mmHg.
Any basic sphygmomanometer has the following parts:
- Bulb: You should squeeze it to pump air into the device
- Cuff: This needs to be wrapped around the arm
- Tube: Air travels from the bulb to the cuff through the tube
- Bladder: It is a bag under the cuff that’s inflated when the air is pumped through the bulb
- Valve: It is responsible for the cuff’s deflation
- Manometer: It shows the reading
Types of Sphygmomanometer
Due to its importance, there is a lot of demand world over. This has led to the invention of 3 different types of sphygmomanometer. They are as follows:
1. Aneroid Sphygmomanometer
It is a simple sphygmomanometer with a stethoscope and a gauge. It further has sub-types such as palm aneroid, clock-style aneroid, and pocket-aneroid.
These sphygmomanometers are inexpensive, simple, and portable. However, you need to calibrate them to ensure that the readings are right. Also, only professionals are comfortable using them regularly.
2. Mercury Sphygmomanometer
As the name suggests, this one works with the help of mercury. It is renowned for giving accurate measurements and is an old-school device.
While accuracy is a huge plus point, the mercury sphygmomanometer has its own pitfalls. For example, it needs to remain in an upright position at all times. Otherwise, the mercury inside can cause health problems. It is also very bulky and not suitable for carrying around.
3. Digital sphygmomanometer
The digital sphygmomanometer is extremely common today, mainly because it is very easy to use. While medical professionals don’t really prefer these devices, they are a hit at home because they require no medical skills.
These sphygmomanometers are also known to be accurate and easy to use. But, they need batteries or electricity to function. They are on the expensive side of the spectrum as well.
Best Aneroid Sphygmomanometer
Our focus in this article is on the aneroid sphygmomanometer. Despite its popularity, it can be confusing to purchase because of the many good ones out there. We are hoping our experts’ choices will make this easy for you!
1. Professional Manual Aneroid Sphygmomanometer
Of course, we shall start with Amazon’s Choice product! The Professional Manual Blood Pressure Cuff comes with an extremely nice carry case and a ton of features such as the following:
- The cuff measures 22-42 cm, which is the universal size.
- It is made of nylon for comfort and has Velcro for easy attachment.
- The valve has a metal-air needle that ensures smooth regulation. The numbers on the dial are easily readable.
- It is portable and lightweight. You can carry it without feeling the weight.
- The sphygmomanometer has a zinc alloy body that promises durability.
- It is latex-free.
- Please remember that this particular product does not come with a stethoscope. You will need to buy it separately.
2. ADC Palm Style Aneroid Sphygmomanometer
This is another good blood pressure cuff made of nylon. It is also latex-free and safe. We have enlisted the reasons why we love it:
- It is precision-crafted with no-pin stop.
- It has been tested in 50,000 cycles to ensure quality and accuracy.
- It has a control trigger release air valve with a nylon cuff that comes with a marking system. You can follow it to ensure you don’t cuff it wrong.
- The inflation bladder is dip-modeled to withstand heavy usage.
- The slip connector works on a quick-release mechanism.
- The blood pressure cuff comes in a leatherette case with a nylon zipper for safe storage and transport.
3. Greater Goods – Manual Blood Pressure Kit
This is a complete kit that will help you keep your blood pressure in check anywhere and at any time! Here are a few of its highlights:
- It is made for easy usage both at home and in clinics.
- The dial is large and easy to read. The dial highlights the normal range so that understanding the measurements is also easy.
- The cuff is adjustable to allow comfortable usage.
- It comes with a travel case for portability.
- It promises accuracy within 3 mmHg.
- It is latex-free.
- The kit does not include a stethoscope.
4. ADC Diagnostic – Pocket Sphygmomanometer
The company provides multiple options here. You can choose based on the age range of the person you want to use it most for. The pocket sphygmomanometer also has a high variation for adults. Below are some of its key features:
- The manometer is chrome-plated and precision-crafted. It always meets industry standards and often exceeds it.
- It has a luminescent dial that enables you to read it easily, even in bad lighting conditions.
- The cuff is made of nylon and has a marking system that serves as a size guide.
- It has an ADFLOW filter screen that protects the valve and the bulb.
- The manufacturers promise a lifetime calibration warranty and a 3-year inflation system warranty.
5. MDF Calibra – Aneroid Premium
This professional sphygmomanometer comes with a carrying case and an adult cuff. It is a complete kit backed with a lifetime warranty. Below are a few more features:
- It has been calibrated and tested for perfection. It promises lifetime calibration and durability.
- It provides accuracy in the range of 3 mmHg.
- The device has a die-cast zinc manometer housing with a textured baked enamel.
- Its heavy-duty clip makes attachment to the gauge holder easy.
- The bulb is crack-resistant, high-density, latex-free, and hypoallergenic.
These days, most aneroid sphygmomanometers are being manufactured for home usage and no longer need medical knowledge. The aforementioned examples are proof of the same. Plus, they are very inexpensive!
We urge you to compare these options and make a purchase based on your preferences. No matter which one you choose, you will be right!